Monday, February 8, 2010

Facebook: Avoiding the Fitna

Assalamu Alaikum wa Warahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Today, I recieved an interesting message for a Muslim guy. I believe he may have me confused with another Muslima. He commented on me not having many or hardly any males on my friends' list. He added that this was a good thing..... this was a nice message, but I didn't know him nor did I add him to my friends' list. He did invite me to become friends with me earlier on, but I didn't say yes.

One thing that I try to do when I am on facebook is to AVOID THE FITNA.

When I say avoid the fitna, I mean I don't add men to my lists because I am not a scholar, imam, or a sheikh, thus it would not be smart of me to add men to my list if I do not plan on teaching.

Secondly, I do not have time to get IM's or messages or posts that is ridiculous.

Thirdly, I will delete females(all females on my list plus my brother) and I don't have a problem with that if the fitna arises.

I really do not have time for the fitna. Its something I learned from another sister. We don't have time to allow fitna into our lives.

Fitna is something so dangerous that I just try to avoid it....I have an interesting post up next.

3 comments:

  1. That's a really good way to manage your Facebook. There is a way to be on Facebook responsibly and you sound like you're managing it! I did a clean up a while ago and deleted over 40 people, which was good. But I realize I still have a way to go... I have some people that aren,t really necessary to have on my list. I will have to get ready for another "clean up" soonish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu Alaikum sis,

    I like that..."clean up". Yes, sometimes cleaning up is something you have to do. Cleaning away the dirt and the trash before it spoil the rest of the house. Its something I have to do often. I try my best to clean up the trash to keep a clean and tidy home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamu alaikom,
    I've made a policy to only get personal online with people I already know, or friends of my close friends. I think that eliminates the possibility of problems right there. Of course it limits the chances of me finding new friends, but I'm okay with that because I'm busy with family and home, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete